Excessive alcohol use can lead to harmful mental and physical changes in your body. Over time, the alcohol takes control of your brain’s normal functions and creates a physical dependency. When you drink alcohol, neurotransmitters release dopamine, which is why you experience temporary euphoric, pleasurable feelings.
There are safe ways to quit alcohol. During the detox process, a medical professional can prescribe medication to lessen the intensity of withdrawals. Medication-assisted detox helps to subdue any cravings you experience while in detox.
Safe Ways to Quit Alcohol and Stay Sober
- Acknowledge your drinking is a problem and that you need to make lifestyle changes. Holistic treatment incorporates healing the mind, body, and spirit as an approach to healing the whole person who is struggling with an addiction. A peaceful, oxygen-rich environment will help you to focus on your recovery. Never try to detox on your own.
- Get a mental health evaluation. Most addictions are linked to underlying mental health conditions such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD.
- Tell family and friends about your plans to live substance-free. When they know your plans to enter a treatment facility, they will be less likely to encourage your drinking.
- Avoid triggers that could lead to relapse. Stay away from old friends who you associate with drinking and places that remind you of drinking alcohol.
- Continue group meetings after treatment ends. It is a great way to meet other people and develop sober relationships. Learn from others who share their experiences with addiction.
- Discover new healthy activities and hobbies to keep busy. Adjusting to a new, sober life can be very overwhelming. Occupy your time with activities to avoid thinking about alcohol.
- Keep a journal. Going through detox and treatment will be hard work. Write down your accomplishments in a journal so you can reflect on your success during challenging situations.
- Work on rebuilding relationships. Mending relationships takes time. Talk to your loved ones and rebuild any broken trust.
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, get help today. Cypress Lakes Lodge specializes in holistic treatment for addiction and addictive behaviors with a focus on healing the mind, body, and spirit. The staff at Cypress Lakes Lodge is compassionate and committed to the overall health and well-being of every client. Addiction is very complex, but recovery is possible. Get help now for a new, rejuvenated you.
Cypress Lakes Lodge specializes in addiction treatment and is located in a serene, remote, lush-green, oxygen enriched environment. The program encompasses holistic addiction therapy and offers yoga and meditation for the mind, body, and soul. The focus is on physical, mental, and emotional well-being by generating the balance of life-enriching treatment, wellness, and healthy, sober, sustainable relationships. Call us to get started: 409-331-2204